Description: Based on Caroline Kepnes’ best-selling novel of the same name, YOU is a 21st century love story that asks, “What would you do for love?” When a brilliant bookstore manager crosses paths with an aspiring writer, his answer becomes clear: anything. Using the internet and social media as his tools to gather the most intimate of details and get close to her, a charming and awkward crush quickly becomes obsession as he quietly and strategically removes every obstacle – and person – in his way.
Creators: Sera Gamble, Greg Berlanti
Stars: Penn Badgley, Victoria Pedretti, Ambyr Childers
- Not everyone wants to be followed
- Meet your match
- In Season One Joe works at the book store “Mooney’s” and it happens to be right next to a store called “Nirvana” in Season 2, Joe works at a store called “Anavrin” — Nirvana spelled backwards.
- Penn Badgley wasn’t nearly as adept with social media as his character Joe was portrayed to be in the series. According to co-star Shay Mitchell (Peach), Penn had never even heard of “Tumblr” and knew little about “Instagram” and other such social networking sites until he started the shoot.
- Joe’s young neighbor Paco (Luca Padovan) was not in author Caroline Kepnes’s original novel, but was added to the series for some extra dramatic content.
- Renewed for a second season in July 2018, ahead of the series premiere in September 2018.
- The first season aired on Lifetime, the network ordering the second season before the first episode aired in September 2018. With low ratings on the cable network, Lifetime backed out of airing the drama’s second season. Netflix picked the series and began streaming the series in December, 2018.
- Penn Badgley’s dialogue was predominantly ‘thought’ voice-overs which meant he didn’t have as many on-camera lines to learn and remember.