Description: James Keziah Delaney returns to 1814 London after 10 years in Africa to discover that he has been left a mysterious legacy by his father. Driven to wage war on those who have wronged him, Delaney finds himself in a face-off against the East India Company, whilst playing a dangerous game between two warring nations, Britain and America.
Creators: Chips Hardy, Tom Hardy, Steven Knight
Stars: Tom Hardy, David Hayman, Jonathan Pryce
- This project was created by Tom Hardy and his father, Chips Hardy.
- The language being spoken by Tom Hardy is Twi. It originates from the West African country of Ghana and a dialect of the Akan people. Twi is still widely spoken and arguably the most spoken native language in Ghana.
- Second season was confirmed by Steven Knight, the creator of Peaky Blinders, a few days after the pilot. He claimed that he has a destination for this show like he has always had for Peaky Blinders too.
- Steven Knight agreed to write Taboo if Tom Hardy agreed to star in Locke (2013).
- Tom Hardy revealed that he wanted to film some scenes fully nude but was forced to put on a loin cloth, explaining, “You’re lucky there was a loin cloth because I didn’t want one. It’s not a period drama until someone gets naked and covers themselves in blood. You can’t have naughtiness like Game of Thrones on the BBC.” Even so, Hardy did film some scenes with full frontal nudity and some of these filming pictures were leaked in the media but all such scenes were cut from the final edit of the show.
- Tom Hardy stated he wanted James Delaney to be an amalgam of different classical characters, encompassing traits of Bill Sikes, Heathcliff, Sherlock Holmes, Hannibal Lecter, Oedipus, Marlow from Heart Of Darkness, Rodrigo Mendoza in The Mission (1986) and Don Lope de Aguirre in Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972). Hardy said: “I wanted James Delaney to be like a classical hero, a man of action, but someone who also has a depth of depravity to him and this great ability to say ‘fuck off’.”