Description: Gossip Girl follows the lives of privileged teenagers on the upper east side. Serena Van Der Woodsen is a blonde and beautiful socialite. Everyone knows Serena. Blair Waldorf is Serena’s best friend but it’s always about Serena not Blair. Nate Archibald is Blair’s boyfriend but ever since Serena came back from boarding school Nate has been acting strange. Chuck Bass is a rich and arrogant person. Daniel Humphrey, a lonely boy from Brooklyn, NY, who nobody knows. Follow the lives of this guilty pleasure show.
Creators: Stephanie Savage, Josh Schwartz
Stars: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley
Taglines: Chuck: young, sweet and naive. Out for a good time no matter the price.
- Long before they played star-crossed lovers Dan and Serena, Penn Badgley and Blake Lively were home schooled together as children.
- The CW did not want Ed Westwick to play Chuck Bass, insisting that “He looked more like a serial killer than a romantic lead.”
- Every episode title is a word play on the title of a movie.
- When the show was criticized by the Parent Television Council for being “mind-blowingly inappropriate” and “every parent’s nightmare,” those exact phrases were in the show’s promotional posters.
- Ed Westwick, who is British, modeled Chuck Bass’ American accent on the character Carlton Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990).
- Costume designers modeled Blair’s look after Audrey Hepburn and Serena’s after Sienna Miller and Kate Moss.
- Blake Lively and Penn Badgley, who played on-screen couple Serena and Dan, dated in real life from 2007 to 2010.
- Leighton Meester had to dye her naturally blonde hair to brunette, merely to audition for the role of Blair Waldorf.
- The Empire Hotel that Chuck owned is a real hotel. After fans swarmed the hotel, the bar at The Empire started serving Gossip Girl-themed cocktails, including an “XOXO” cocktail with secret ingredients that they’ll never tell.